It’s been a wild ride this hot summer soccer season!
While the top men’s teams in South America were making headlines in Chile, the best women’s teams representing countries all over the world were doing the same thing in Canada. The highlights are probably seared into your mind.
- Lionel Messi distributing the ball like a magician on Argentina’s march to the Copa America final against Chile.
- The heartbreak of Laura Bassett whose own goal in stoppage play allowed Japan to eliminate England, 2-1, in the World Cup semifinals.
- Host Chile playing like a champion, reaching the Copa America final and attempting to win the tournament for the first time.
- Japan trying to repeat its 2011 World Cup victory in the final against the United States and the U.S. just as strongly opposing.
- Hope Solo playing brilliantly in goal for the United States, reaching the World Cup final.
All along the way, all over the world, people took notice, proven by attendance records, huge television audiences and record ratings. It’s been a wild ride, to be sure, and also a magical one. But while it’s nearly over, it’s still one for the books.