Skip to content

Eliminate traveller trouble with this checklist

As you've no doubt learned by now, it's easy to send money with Xoom, as you probably can make a money transfer in minutes. But something that tends to be much more complicated are the steps involved should you want to travel, as arranging the documents you need can be difficult.

Fortunately, the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol has published a checklist you can consult to make the travelling process as simple as possible.

1. Passport. No matter what your status is in America, everyone must produce a passport if they're travelling overseas. But be sure to carry it on your person rather than packing it away, as you'll likely need to show it on more than one occasion.

2. Green Card. Lawful permanent residents need to present their green cards, which can be obtained by filling out an I-551 Form. Should you not be able to produce one, you may be allowed to travel but it will cost you a hefty waiver fee of $545.

3. Medications. There are a variety of restrictions in place that prevent you from carrying certain medications with you. As a result, you should only have the medication with you that's been prescribed by a doctor, which should be carried in its original container, CBP advises.

4. Receipts. You may be asked to present a receipt for electronics that you're carrying with you. While this is generally not necessary for goods that are more than six months old, CBP recommends carrying receipts with you for any electronics that were purchased within the past 150 days. Receipts may also be a good idea if you're taking a large amount of jewelry with you.

5. Pets. When you reach your destination, you may want your family to meet your new four-legged friend. CBP says you can generally take animals with you, but you'll need to present proof that they have been vaccinated for various diseases, such as rabies.

6. Have traveller entry form filled out. Before you know it, your trip will be over and you'll be on your way back to the U.S. But before you get here, CBP says you should be sure to have a traveller entry form filled out.

Regardless of your citizenship status, everyone that returns from visiting a foreign country must have a travel entry form with them, or what's also known as a 6059B Form. You'll usually be given one before you leave. This should be filled out with all the goods that you're bringing into the country that you didn't have when you left. In addition to the form being filled out, you should also have a copy of the receipts that came with your purchases while you were away. To keep everything together, you may want to hold them all in an envelope so that you can retrieve them quickly, CBP recommends.

By being prepared, you can make travelling as simple as the remittance process.

Helpful links:

Travel Entry Forms Brochure
Traveller Checklist

Read more from Other

Comments are closed.